Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Book Review: Love Like You’ve Never Been Hurt



Jentezen  Franklin’s book,  Love Like You’ve Never Been Hurt, sat on my wish list for months reminding me to read it and, hopefully, love more deeply.  Having now read it, I feel energized to love people more as we start this year.

My new love goal requires a spiritual transplant when I think of how much I need to work on this;  hence, I filled my personal journal with trigger points to keep me in line.  Here are a few snippets of my thoughts:

Franklin writes it takes at least 35 years in marriage to learn the art of dying to self and to love like you’ve never been hurt.  This tells me self focus is too pronounced in our society.  His anointed words spur the reader to let go of much and trust God more.  This results in no-fail loving.  This author challenges us to think less of man caves and more of couple caves.  He teaches “Machpelah” means double so now I want a Machpelah cave!

For balance, Franklin also teaches healthy self love.  Why do we get tripped up with our failures and limitations?  Because we forget we’re Kingdom Kids.  We own righteousness, peace and joy.  Every new day is a fresh start.

No one ever explained the Bible story of Rizpah like this author-pastor.  God does the most stunning work where things seem hopeless!   All relationships get messy but we can fight for what is left.  Perfectionists would benefit from this chapter.




I learned lessons from the Navy Seals in this book.  It takes mental fortitude to survive a strenuous  journey.  In this chapter, a beautiful teaching enfolds of the mental strength needed to achieve my spiritual goals.  The enemy may taunt me on every level, but I’m reminded Jesus cheers me on to victory and no coach will fight for me quite like Him.

Everyone will have a different perspective when Jentzen Franklin talks about “unguarded moments.”  These are the times we react in a fleshy way rather than slowly processing the punches or arrows aimed at us.  The Holy Spirit helped me and I learned a lot about myself which I need to address.  And, I didn’t have to pay a bunch of money for counseling.

I felt convicted when I read his words about kindness.  I like the question, “How holy are you?”  Try being kind and find out.  You will be amazed what he says about kindness.  I think it takes two chapters.

Jentezen Franklin, a humble man, writes with transparency.  He uses applicable examples from his life to clarify his teaching.

I highly recommend this book.  In fact, I will read it again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Red Flag

Red Flag, A True Story of Spiritual Abuse and the Lessons Learned, by author Diana Iraheta, reveals that not all Christian leaders c...